Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Severe Allergic Reaction (Anaphylactic Shock).
Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis
Share your story with others:
eMedicineHealth appreciates your comment. Your comment may be displayed on the site and will always be published anonymously.

Tell us a bit about your background to make your comments more useful to other eMedicineHealth users. (Optional)

Screen Name: *

Gender of Patient: Male Female

Age Range of Patient:

I am a: Patient Caregiver

Enter your comment (required)

* Screen Name will appear next to the published comment. Please do not include your full name or email address.

By submitting your comment, and other materials (collectively referred to as a "Submission") to eMedicineHealth, you grant eMedicineHealth permission to use, copy, transmit, publish, display, edit and modify your Submission in connection with its Web site. eMedicineHealth will not pay you for your Submission. You represent that you have all rights necessary for eMedicineHealth to use your Submission as set forth above.

Please keep these guidelines in mind when writing your comment:

  • Please make sure you address the question asked.
  • Due to the overwhelming number of comments received, not all comments will be published.
  • When selecting comments to publish, our staff will choose those that are educational and complement the topic. Please try to stay on topic.
  • Your comment may be edited. We would typically edit comments to make them clearer and more readable. We will remove personal information such as last names, email and web addresses, and other potentially harmful information.
  • We will not notify you if your comment has been published. We suggest that you check back on the topic article regularly.
  • We do not provide medical or healthcare advice, treatment, or diagnosis.

Thank you for participating!

I have read and agree to abide by the eMedicineHealth Terms and Conditions and the eMedicineHealth Privacy Policy (required).

To prevent our systems from spam, please complete the following prior to submitting your comment.

Please select the black triangle:

See what others are saying

Published: November 16

About 15 years ago I had my first experience with anaphylaxis. I had a kidney infection and was prescribed a medication that I later found out I was allergic to. I took one pill and with a few minutes of the pill being swallowed, I broke out in hives. The pill didn't even have time to get into my system. It had only been 10 minutes since I swallowed the pill. I told my husband that I was itching all over, and I picked up the phone to dial 911. I got the operator on the phone and started to tell her what was happening when I started to slur my words. My husband had to take the phone from me. My airway was beginning to close. They immediately sent an ambulance. When the paramedics arrived they started an IV and gave me some fluids and epinephrine. At that point I passed out. The next thing I remember anything I was in the hospital emergency room and they were working on me with the crash cart next to the bed. The blood pressure reading at that point was 60/40. I have no idea what it was when I was passed out or what happened while I was out. I just know that the first thing the doctor said to me when I woke up was: "Ma’am if you ever come in contact with this medicine or any other quinolone again you will die. You are lucky to make it back this time.".

Published: October 19

Maria!! Please go and get a scratch test at least to start, and I would hope you are seeing an allergist....this is very serious..it only takes minutes to die from anaphlaxis....and once your airway closes...well....please all of you it is better to be safe..if you have had this reaction in your medical history go straight to the ER if you are itchy, short of breath etc. if you have just eaten something, drank something, taken a medication, gotten stung by an insect, been exposed to latex or have just exercised and experience any of those same symptoms again please go to the ER immediatly!!!!!.