Cholesterol Levels - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cholesterol Charts (What the Numbers Mean).
Please describe your experience with cholesterol levels.

I had been on Zocor for many years for my cholesterol. I love grapefruit and was really missing eating it. My doctor switched me to Pravachol. My Zocor numbers were total 130, HDL 63, TRI 47, and LDL 58. My Pravachol numbers are total 205, HDL 103, TRI 58, and LDL 90. I think my control was much better on Zocor (I have type I diabetes for 47 years so want best heart protection). Doctor says the total is not as important as that fabulous HDL number which is the heart saving part of cholesterol. Now I don't know what to do. I think I will probably say good bye to Pravachol and grapefruit and go back to Zocor!.

I had blood work done last Friday because I have been feeling awful lately. They said everything was normal so I am reading on what is normal. Numbers were, cholesterol 171, triglyceride 55, and LDL 82. I read that cholesterol under 200 is normal but as I am reading other sites, it is borderline..