Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Food Allergy.
Please describe your experience with food allergy.

I developed an allergy to fish at the age of 32. Eating fish gives me hives, respiratory tightness, and difficulty breathing. I had eaten fish up to that age with absolutely no problems. To this day, I do not have any trouble with shellfish. After about two years of no fish whatsoever, I tested myself with salmon. Amazingly, I do not experience the allergic reaction with salmon. All other fish -- tuna, halibut, tilapia -- still give me an allergic reaction. .

I am a 49-year-old female who has had bouts of breaking out with hives for the past two years after eating shrimp. It has been infrequent and not really a life-adjusting problem. Recently, we ate at a Chinese restaurant and I had fried shrimp. An hour later, I went hiking and broke out with severe hives. I had swollen eyes, and my tongue swelled to the point of not being able to talk. I raced uphill one mile to get to the car and made it to a drugstore with my husband. The pharmacist gave me Benadryl and called the paramedics because I passed out. After waking, I was taken to the emergency room and given more meds to reduce the swelling. This was life-threatening. Now I carry an Epi-Pen with me at all times. The doctor said it could be fatal the next time. .