Viral Pneumonia - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Viral Pneumonia.
What was the treatment for your viral pneumonia?

I have a viral pneumonia but was treated with 2 antibiotics that didn't help. At first, I thought it was sinusitis but after I got sicker a chest x-ray showed infiltrate and atelectasis. Needless to say, after 3 weeks of being sick I worked sick and got worse; shortness of breath, loss of appetite and weakness. I had a CT with contrast and was found to have fluid around lungs and heart. The emergency room doctor explained I had inflammation around my lungs (pleurisy) which is pretty much why I hurt when breathing, so I am on NSAIDs and a steroid and was told to get rest and drink plenty of fluid. I also have to follow up with a cardiologist to check my heart out because of the fluid. Please, if you start to feel sick don't wait around and self-diagnose because it can get worse and get fatal..

Published: March 27

In 2013 I had open heart surgery to replace aorta valve and ascending aorta. In 2014 I had infection in surgery area. After 7 weeks in hospital, I am now on 2 antibiotics for the rest of my life. In 2015 I was diagnosed viral pneumonia. Treatment now is 2 to 3 weeks bed rest, lots of fluid, and doubling up on vitamin C..