Asthma - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Asthma.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your asthma?

I was diagnosed with COPD about 15 yrs ago after suffering from Asthma for almost 25 yrs. I was forced to go on disability and have managed to lead a fairly normal life except I lead a very sedentary lifestyle due to shortness of breath. I quit smoking 17 yrs ago after smoking for 35 yrs. I had tried many times previously but failed until I used a nicotine patch. Thank God for that success. I know I have shortened my life but have managed with meds like Advair, Singulair, Spiriva, Theodor, Ventolin inhaler, and sometimes Predinsone to get along. I only wish I had been able to quit smoking sooner than I did but I suffered from terrible withdrawal symptoms. I lost my best friend last week to COPD. My advice - don't quit trying to quit smoking! You can succeed!.

I have had asthma since birth and couldn’t be treated until I was 3. I have taken a bunch of stuff over the years, and nothing has worked as well as Advair HFA. It's the first time in my life I've been able to breathe "normally." My doctor tries to get me off of it every six months or so because it can cause loss of bone density. I say, “At least I'll still be able to breathe!”.