Guttate Psoriasis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Guttate Psoriasis.
What treatment has been effective for your guttate psoriasis?

Published: December 21

I had my first episode of guttate psoriasis two years ago when I turned 20. Initially when I went to the emergency room (ER) I was told I had chicken pox and a form of strep throat. I was prescribed medications to help and was sent home. After about another two weeks my skin was getting worse and worse, and it was now covering most of my legs, butt, back, and arms. So I went back to the ER and they referred me to a specialist and after 5 minutes of looking at my skin, he said I have guttate psoriasis and gave me prednisone, two topical creams and Claritin D. For about three weeks I had to take the medicines every day and rub the lotion on affected areas. It finally started to go away but it took initially 3 months for my skin to appear normal again. Worst time of my life and my doctor has told me it could happen again since I get strep throat and bronchitis so often. But all in all it made me love my skin even more and realize I have to take care of it. Since then I have been eating healthier since I have found it helps and use Aveeno oatmeal body wash which helps with the itchiness and dryness of my skin..

Published: December 07

I was 13 years old when I had my first outbreak of guttate psoriasis. I am now 27 and I have had 4 outbreaks so far. I have spent thousands on specialists, creams, ointments, as well as other medications. When I have an outbreak, it usually lasts about 4 months from start to finish. There is countless home remedies that I have tried. There are a few things that I have tried that have helped in at least one aspect. I found a good old oatmeal bath helps relieve some of the itching. Another thing is called Eucerin cream, or the ointment version is called Aquaphor. The cream is a little pricier but still cheaper than prescription cream, and if you are like me and don't have health insurance, you don't want to have to go to the dermatologist and spend an arm and a leg every time you have a break out! I try my hardest to stay healthy and try not to get sick but unfortunately I work with preschoolers so the sickness is everywhere..