Bruises - Home Remedies

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bruises.
What home remedies have effectively treated your bruises?

I went out to shovel. I had just shoveled a tiny path and tripped over my own feet. I went up in the air and came down on the side and back of my left thigh onto a cement step at the top of a flight of basement stairs. I have learned not to try to break my fall with hands or arms, because they break. I have a bruise bigger than the state of Texas and it is swollen and puffy. It started out as major pain, then it started coloring. After 4 days it is black. I found that Tiger Balm is a miracle with this type of bruise. I can sit down without much pain..