Whooping Cough - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whooping Cough (Pertussis).
Please describe your experience with whooping cough.

I contracted pertussis three years ago when I was 56 years old. It started with symptoms similar to bronchitis, but with the severe coughing others have described. I frequently coughed until vomiting, even if I had only consumed fluids. After two weeks of progressively severe coughing, I went to the doctor who took a swab for the lab. By then I was coughing up black phlegm. The results were positive for pertussis, and he gave me azithromycin which gradually helped lessen the coughing spasms. I coughed for another 6 months. Three years later, I continue to have occasional bronchial spasms I never previously had, frequently at night. Also, after having pertussis, I now gag and sometimes vomit every time I have a coughing spell from a mild cold, or from inhaling dust, etc. I am curious about symptoms which have persisted for three years, such as bronchial spasms, gagging, and what feels like some minor obstruction in my trachea or epiglottis..

I've just been diagnosed with whooping cough. I thought I had bronchitis and had completed a 10-day dose of Cipro. I've had a horrible cough (think seal barking) for more than a month and went back to the doctor. It turns out I have all the symptoms of whooping cough and have for over 30 days. I also have asthma. Incidentally, Albuterol was not effective in helping my coughing fits. Symptoms I am experiencing are: exhaustion, bronchospasms (severe), runny nose, mucous, loss of appetite, weight loss, restless sleep, frequent severe coughing fits, burning in chest/lungs and tightness in my chest. I am now on a 7-day course of Biaxin, steroid inhaler and prescriptive cough medicine. -Marie .