Whooping Cough - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Whooping Cough (Pertussis).
What were your whooping cough symptoms? If your child was the one who was ill, please describe your child's whooping cough symptoms.

I live in central Texas where whooping cough is epidemic. I had it twice, in 2012 and again in 2015. Both times started like a cold with profuse sinus drainage for 3 days then a 100 degree fever for 2 days after which the cough started. It is a non-productive, thick cough which things like steam and guaifenesin do not relieve. In 2012 I coughed for 3 months after my initial symptoms. I got a vaccination for it in 2013 which apparently did not work since I once again picked it up from our local high school. This stuff now has both my teenage daughter and wife coughing too. Bad stuff!.

I am a healthy 80-year-old widow and have been diagnosed with whooping cough. I did not have a cold or sore throat; just a cough which was initially diagnosed as viral bronchitis. The cough was getting worse and quite different from bronchitis, which I have had before. A trip to the hospital Urgent Care Department revealed I had whooping cough. No medication was given. I was just told it would take at least 6 weeks to clear. Then went to see my family doctor who prescribed Azithromycin for 5 days. This has helped, but the cough is still persistent but the coughing attacks are now mainly in the morning and at night, but I just feel exhausted. As I live by myself, I just have to struggle and get on with it, although I don't go outside. Fortunately my son brings me some groceries. He got tested by his doctor and fortunately he has not been infected but he has had the vaccine repeated. Now in my 6th week - hope it clears up soon..