Brain Aneurysm - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Aneurysm.
Please describe your experience with brain aneurysm.

Published: December 30

I'm 17 and I just had two aneurysms clipped on November 18th. The way it was discovered was accidentally through and MRI. For a few months I had been having blackouts in my right eye that lasted 1-5 minutes. I had these every few months. Finally, I got it checked and that is how it was found. I had one large one, and a smaller one forming. My grandfather and great uncle died from ruptured aneurysms, so I am at risk because of heredity. The artery that these were found on is very weak and I have a chance of getting another. I went to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston for my surgery, and to the Children's Hospital for recovery. The doctors that I had seem to think that the eye blackouts are not related to the aneurysm. It is still a mystery. I've had some complications since my surgery, and right now I'm waiting for results that will determine whether I had a seizure, stroke, or if have a blood clot, or numerous other possibilities. This was a terrifying experience for me, and I like to share my story because I am proud of myself and how far I have come. I am so thankful to be here today..

In 2004, I experienced a tremendous headache. It seemed to grow stronger over several hours. I experienced a flow of blood run down the inside of my head right above my ear. I felt very delirious and scared. Hours later, I went to the emergency room and after several more hours of scans, I was told I had a ruptured brain aneurysm. I was still coherent, but the pain in my head was unbearable. I felt like my skull would crack open. They prepped me for surgery. Six hours later, my doctor had completed the surgery and clipped my aneurysm. I experience tremendous headaches for days while I was hospitalized. I remained completely coherent. Weeks later, I recovered beautifully and resumed a normal life. Two years later, I insisted on a follow up. The radiologist found another aneurysm not quite as large as the first one. I waited 3 months for surgery. Remarkably, I survived a second surgery and my aneurysm was clipped. I am living a perfectly healthy and normal life now with no repercussions at all. I have heard so many terrible stories of patients that haven't been as fortunate. I want to share my story to give hope to others. God has blessed my life, and for that, I am thankful every day. Please know that there is hope. You would never know anything was ever wrong with me. It is truly a miracle. .