Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Pain.
Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.

Published: March 25

I know how horrible chronic back pain can be. After a car accident, I had debilitating pain for seven years. I had been to various doctors and done physical therapy throughout that time period. Stretches worked when I was sore, but sometimes the pain was so intense that I could hardly get out of bed. I have even had to take days or weeks off of work due to the pain. I have been living in Barcelona for the past five years. It's here where I found a doctor who finally really listened to my symptoms and understood my problem. Other doctors had mentioned surgery, but my doctor didn't think that I would improve with surgery. Instead he offered me a less invasive treatment, cortisone injections in some joints of my spine called facet joints. His work was seriously life changing! I haven't felt so normal since before my back issues began. Even if you have to pay for a flight and a few nights of a hotel, it would be worth it to finally relieve the pain! Another major perk is that medical costs in Barcelona are exponentially less expensive than they are in the States, especially if you are under or uninsured, and many doctors, like mine, are fluent in English. I have been pain free for more than a year and I couldn't be more grateful..

I have had chronic myofascial pain and neuropathic pain for six years. I took anti-seizure drugs to help with the pain in the nerves and had weekly trigger point injections for years. In addition, I was taking Tylenol 3s, and Celebrex to try to control the pain. Nothing has worked as well as Lyrica. Now, instead of 2,800 mg of Neurontin, I take 225 mg of Lyrica. I have dropped the Celebrex and take Tylenol 3s rarely! Lyrica has changed my life, and after six years, I am finally ready to get back to work and living!.