Epilepsy (Seizure Disorder) - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Epilepsy.
Please describe effective treatments with epilepsy (seizure disorder).

I have epilepsy, and I was put on Keppra when my husband and I decided to have a baby. I am currently taking 1,000 mg twice a day and have been doing great. I had no problems while I was carrying my daughter, and she has shown no signs of having any side effects from me taking the Keppra..

I've taken several medications over a course of 13+ years and have been unsuccessful. Tegretol, Keppra, Dilantin, and Lamictal. With the amount I take daily Keppra XR, Trileptal and Lamictal (3 times a day), I wonder if I'm just wasting money and hurting my body. Petit mal and absence seizures are my types. Of course the med that seemed to be most effective (Dilantin), I'm allergic to. I've hurt myself by passing out, but if the medication isn't controlling the seizures, why torture the immune system?.