Insomnia - Describe Your Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia.
Please describe your effective treatments with insomnia.

For years I have had trouble falling and staying asleep or wakening and unable to fall back asleep. I have a particularly stressful job and I would change my circumstance if I could afford to do so, but that's not happening anytime soon. I am a coffee drinker and though I have quit and resumed many times, I never found that avoiding caffeine helped my issue. I also have mild depression and these days have had success in minimizing it. I take OTC antihistamine to help me fall asleep, and that works 80% of the time, but there are times where nothing seems to help. I have tried everything from prescriptions to melatonin supplements. Even recently I had a pulled muscle where the hydro-codeine painkiller could not even help me fall asleep. When I awake in the night I have mentioned jokingly to coworkers that the "committee" called a meeting to discuss all things worrisome..

For my insomnia, my doctor prescribed Ambien CR. It was not a good choice for me. The next morning, I would find food in my bed, peanut butter in my hair and an overturned glass of juice. I had no memory of how it got there. My boyfriend told me of my strange activities, but I had no recollection of doing it. So, one night he video-taped me and showed me the tape the next morning. I was in shock. I talked to him while he was taping, but my sentences made no sense and were rambling. I seemed oblivious to the fact that he was holding a video recorder. After that, I tossed the Ambien down the toilet and never took it again. I took the medication as directed. I was in bed when I took the Ambien with a glass of water and immediately lay in bed. During the night, I would get up and "feast" on whatever I could find. One night, he stopped me before I could leave the house in my pajamas with car keys in hand. Some people may tolerate Ambien, but for me it was a "nightmare". My cousin's friend was taking Ambien and he woke up with his car wrapped around a light pole, in his underwear, with no recollection of how he got there. Luckily, he only sustained minor cuts and bruises, but he could have been killed. He stopped taking Ambien, too. It's not for everybody, and certainly not me..