Liver Transplant - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Liver Transplant.
Did you have a liver transplant? If so, please describe your experience.

I had my liver transplant when I was 34. I am 36 now. I had been feeling weak and tired all the time for about 2 months, I thought nothing about it. I thought it was just my body dealing with a car accident and running around after two boys during summer break. I got sick and starting vomiting and had a horrible headache. I lay in bed for about a week, thinking I had the stomach flu. After about 6 days in bed my husband turned on the lights and in shock said 'I'm taking you to the emergency room(ER)'. My eyes were bright yellow, like a monster. Once in the hospital they took about a liter and half of fluid off my abdomen. Then started the blood, platelets, and plasma transfusions. A few days later I was told just how sick I was and that it was not likely I would make it to the New Year; this was the beginning of August 2013. I was in the hospital until October 11th, 2013. I was told without a transplant I won't see Christmas, then it was, ‘you won't see Thanksgiving; then Halloween.' The hospital let me go home to wait it out. I had to see a dentist and gynecologist to get on the list and cleared for surgery. I took what I thought was going to be my last time out with my boys to a berry farm and enjoyed what little I thought I had left. On October 13, 2013 I was at home and having trouble. My mom and husband were taking me to the ER and the phone rang; they had a liver for me. On Oct 13, 2013 I got my new liver. I have been able to have two more New Years, two more Christmases, two Thanksgivings, two Halloweens, and a year and a half more time with my husband, my sons, my family and my friends. I am thankful and grateful for my donor..

I had a liver transplant 4 1/2 months ago. I have been very lucky I didn't have too many side effects. I stayed in the hospital 7 days after the surgery and I didn't feel the need to take any pain medication since I got out. Just taking pain medication has its own set of side effects, feeling sick, throwing up, bowel problems and such. I forced myself to do what they told me to do, walk 30 minutes four times a day, and work on my breathing. Now I won't tell you that I walked everyday but I did whenever I felt good enough to do so. Today I feel good and I am back to doing some of the things I was doing before the surgery except lifting anything over 5 pounds. Some of the medicines I take mess with my blood pressure and blood sugar so I have to deal with those things as doctor’s orders..