Meniere Disease - Symptoms and Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease.
Please describe your symptoms and effective treatment for meniere disease.

I have just been diagnosed with Meniere’s. My ear problems started about a year ago. I'm dizzy a lot, always in pain from the ear pressure, and I hear ringing. It's stressful and I have to have quiet around me because loud noise actually hurts. I still work full time, but stopped going to church as much. I'm afraid I'll end up a hermit..

This is the story of successful recovery of a Meniere’s patient. She had episodes of vertigo from 13 to 14 years before, initially 1 to 2 episodes in 2 to 3 years. Frequency of episodes increased in March 2005. Vertigo with vomiting lasted for 20 minutes. With repeated head movement and bending gradually tinnitus appeared. Doctors suggested audiometric and other investigations. This situation remained unchanged for last 9 years. They concluded it as incurable Meniere’s disease. Initially the patient was on Vertin (betahistine) 8 mg to 24 mg 1 to 3 times daily, and Stugeron and Alprax occasionally; besides homeopathy and other treatments, none of which worked. This problem is due to the accumulation of fluid in inner ear. It was observed that during glycerol audiometry the problem was reduced. So to reduce the extra fluid osmotic diuretics were given. This reduced the problem to a great extent but its taste and feeling after the dose was not very agreeable. Therefore its herbal substitute was selected. One of best herbal diuretics is dandelion. It is available as homeopathic medicine. There has been no episode of vertigo since the first dose of diuretic was given..