Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure.
For congestive heart failure, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: April 06

I was on my third night of being up right in the chair, afraid to fall asleep because I could not catch my breath lying flat. I did go to the emergency room (ER) and they checked me right in and took chest x-ray and EKG right away and found congestive heart failure. Later, up in my room they got everything under control and I could breathe again. After 4 days they had me ready to go home with my first set of pills. After 90 days of pills I still could not stand up more than 20 minutes, and the heart doctor wanted to do a procedure to correct the atrial fibrillation. Wow, what a difference after the electrical cardioversion! It was all done very quickly, like in 3 hours I was on the way home 3 days later, one heart beat and much stronger overall. I still have to watch pressure and eat pills for breakfast but I can stand up and breathe again. Best would be to go to the ER, they have people there to help you, not the general doctor, and he is there to maintain you. Go with the ER doctor's plans and follow his advice and you too can live to breathe the fresh air..

Published: December 02

I guess I have borderline CHF. I was hospitalized with atrial fibrillation in August. Up to then I had only had transient episodes of tachycardia. Lately I've been having trouble falling asleep - I will almost be asleep when I start up with a feeling of breathlessness. If I can get through the falling asleep stage, I seem not to have sleep apnea. It takes some courage though, to take the leap to sleep! Last weekend I was on my feet all day and had major swelling in my feet and lower legs. Going up stairs leaves me breathing hard. My BNP test just came back at 249. Normal is 100; 300 is bad. My cardiologist is recommending cardioversion. At first I didn't like the idea but with the possibility of CHF it starts to seem more attractive. If I can correct of the A fib the CHF should clear up. I am 67 and otherwise in good health, active and a healthy lifestyle. I do have chronic Lyme disease, though, kept in check by maintenance antibiotics..