Congestive Heart Failure - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Congestive Heart Failure.
For congestive heart failure, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: December 02

I guess I have borderline CHF. I was hospitalized with atrial fibrillation in August. Up to then I had only had transient episodes of tachycardia. Lately I've been having trouble falling asleep - I will almost be asleep when I start up with a feeling of breathlessness. If I can get through the falling asleep stage, I seem not to have sleep apnea. It takes some courage though, to take the leap to sleep! Last weekend I was on my feet all day and had major swelling in my feet and lower legs. Going up stairs leaves me breathing hard. My BNP test just came back at 249. Normal is 100; 300 is bad. My cardiologist is recommending cardioversion. At first I didn't like the idea but with the possibility of CHF it starts to seem more attractive. If I can correct of the A fib the CHF should clear up. I am 67 and otherwise in good health, active and a healthy lifestyle. I do have chronic Lyme disease, though, kept in check by maintenance antibiotics..

I have been very recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure. My signs and symptoms mainly consisted of shortness of breath, but it was more like gasping for air, and there was a lot of wheezing. Turns out it wasn't wheezing at all, but fluid in my lungs. Saw my doctor and she treated me for what she believed was either asthma and/or emphysema. When I demanded a chest x ray after 3 weeks of this, I was told to go to the ER, where they did a chest x ray and discovered fluids in my lungs. The next few days in the hospital required many tests such as more chest x rays, an echocardiogram, EKGs, and a CT scan with and without contrast. After 2 days on Lasix and steroids, I apparently released 10 lbs of fluids in my lungs, 10 lbs! More than a gallon of water. I am feeling much better breathing wise, but I have a long road ahead of me. My next step is a heart catheterization. .