Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo.
Please describe your experience with vertigo.

I'm so tired of people describing vertigo as dizziness. I know what dizzy is, I was anemic as a child into my teen years and often became dizzy or faint. Vertigo is a whole different animal. I can't tell you how horrifying it is to suddenly open your eyes from a deep sleep with the sensation of a great need to right yourself...reaching out for any stable surface to hold onto in order to keep from landing on your head and the bonus being that your eyeballs are vibrating. When I called my E.N.T. doctor for an appointment his dingbat at the desk said "Oh, you're dizzy? Do you feel faint?" I said "NO! I'm having an episode of vertigo!" She said "O.K. you're feeling dizzy, how about next Thursday?" GEEZE LOUISE. Somebody out there must know the difference..

I have suffered from vertigo off and on for more than 29 years. I was diagnosed with a middle ear infection and the doctor treated it with Meclizine. It helps somewhat with the dizziness, but it knocks you out. All you do is sleep, and it doesn't cure the problem, it only treats the symptoms -- taking the dizziness away. I finally went to the best ENT in Milwaukee and he said treating it with an allergy medication is what works. I also have a lot of allergies -- seasonal, environmental, animals -- so I do need to take something for that. By taking one tablet every day (I now use Singulair, but I have used Claritin and Zyrtec in the past), I am vertigo-free. Almost as a test, this past spring I happened to be out of my prescription for several weeks and didn't take anything. Sure enough, the vertigo came back. As soon as I was back on Singulair for about six days straight, the vertigo was gone again. I will never be without the allergy medication again. As I understand it, the allergy medication dries up the fluid in your ears that causes the vertigo. I have no medical background, but this method really has worked for me..