Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Esophageal Cancer.
What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?

My husband aged 54 was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in December and passed away in March. When diagnosed he had a pain in his left side when he was lying down at night and nothing else. Then lymph nodes in his neck became enlarged. An endoscopy and scan showed the cancer had spread to his lymph nodes in his neck and in his chest. Chemo started immediately, a 21 day cycle, from 8.30 to 4.30 on day one and then a course of tablets, 12 in all, to take for the 21 days. After 3 courses a scan showed that although the chemo was shrinking the tumor the cancer itself was causing blood clots and one had gone to his lung. He then started injecting himself in the stomach every evening, which was a 6 month course, then just before his 4th cycle of chemo he developed another blood clot in his liver. The doctors just couldn't get on top of the clots and eventually one went to his heart and killed him suddenly. We were not aware that blood clots can be caused by cancer or chemo..

I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and had surgery in 2008. I had acid reflux for years and took meds for it. I was just feeling terrible in my chest and stomach and knew something was wrong. I had an endoscopic exam and the Dr. called to tell me that he couldn't believe it but, it was cancer. I told him I could because I had been feeling so bad. I was very fortunate it was caught early, and I didn’t need any treatments. I had an esophajectomy and a stomach pull up. It isn't an easy surgery but, it beats the alternative. It is a long recovery and 2 years later I still have some discomfort, cough, and diarrhea. I continue to be checked and I am thankful I pushed the Dr's telling them how bad I felt. You do need to listen to your body and be persistent. As I said I didn't have to have treatments they felt they got it all, and I was truly blessed with that as I didn't know how I would go through treatments being so weak. It is amazing what they can do..