Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Esophageal Cancer.
What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?

Published: March 24

My husband was diagnosed with esophageal cancer on February 6th, 2015. His symptoms were light. He had really bad night sweats and a sinus infection 2 weeks before his diagnosis. They did a sonogram and saw 2 spots on his lung and 3 spots on his liver. We went for a CT scan and that’s when we got the horrible news. Stage 4 esophageal cancer. He was cleaning out for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. He lost all his energy, passed out in the floor and ended up in the emergency room. We were in CCU for a week and he got 6 pints of blood and 3 bags of plasma. The last day we were there they did a biopsy. The cancer was rapidly growing. We only got to go to the oncologist twice and he passed away on March 5th, 2015. I am writing this to tell you that if you have any problems with acid reflux have the necessary test done often! We didn't get the chance to fight it..

I first noticed hiccups and belching after eating. Eventually, I had trouble swallowing. An upper endoscopy revealed that I had a tumor between my esophagus and stomach, and a biopsy confirmed it was cancer. My doctors felt it was best to remove the tumor and half of my stomach, then stretch the remaining half stomach up to the remnant of the esophagus and attach them. A month after surgery, I had 6 weeks of chemo and radiation. I am grateful to say that I have been cancer-free for three and a half years. I am glad I had the tests run at the early onset of symptoms instead of assuming it was just gas or something else!.