Vasectomy - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vasectomy.
Did you have a vasectomy? Please describe your experience.

(Optional)

I had a vasectomy two months ago by an experienced urologist who had performed over 3,000 of the no-scalpel procedures. Despite what you read on the web and the information given to you by physicians, this is not a benign, painless procedure. My experience was excruciating. The initial injection of local anesthesia directly into the scrotum and spermatic cord was an easy 8 out of 10 on the pain scale. Stick and a burn and huge kick in the testicles. I could feel the instruments cutting and the vas being dissected and pulled through the opening. The tugging yanked at the testicle and pulled on the bladder, all with extreme testicular pain radiating into the abdomen. I had to be reminded to breathe by the physician as the sweat poured down my face. It was awful. After gutting out the left side, I caved in and asked for more local. The doctor prodded around and I indicated each poke. He hit me again with local. I should have done that at the beginning. The valium they give you beforehand does nothing. Ask for two. The recovery is straightforward until you get to the massive epididymal swelling and pain which started on day two. The congested, impacted epididymis swelled to the size of a pack of Life Savers on each testicle. The scrotum was bright pink, hot and three times its normal size. This got progressively worse for the next several days until I couldn't stand it any longer, and went in for a follow up visit five days post-operation. Things were deemed normal by the doctor, but none of this grotesque, painful, swelling was ever mentioned by him or any other source I read before the procedure. The doctor even mentioned he went jogging four days after his vasectomy. The side effects of a vasectomy are painful and debilitating. I missed an entire week of work because walking was a shuffling, bow-legged struggle of kicking yourself in the impacted testicles with every stride. After another week of ibuprofen and heat directly on the testicles for several hours a day, the swelling abated and things were 90 percent back to normal. Another week later (four weeks post-operation) I had my first pain free day, and although the left epididymis is still swollen and sensitive, had what I would call enjoyable sex. The scrotum is still off limits because of tenderness on the left side. My left side is still swollen, I spend the evenings with heat on it, and I'm taking 1800 mg of Ibuprofen a day. In another month I will most likely have to start taking steroids. If that doesn't work, well, it's a lifetime of pain unless I consider surgical alternatives: reversal, epididymectomy (removal of epididymis), cutting nerve to testicle. I am in pain, swollen, disinterested in sex, unable to exercise, grumpy with the children..

I recently had a vasectomy, and experienced no pain, no swelling or any other unpleasant side effects whatsoever. Nothing more significant than a slight 'pulling' feeling, which I presume is caused by two stitches inserted to close the wound. My partner and I actually stopped for lunch at a restaurant on the way home because we live some distance from the hospital where the procedure was done, and she felt that I had to have a meal before travelling. The procedure was done on a Thursday, and I spent the weekend resting, but not actually lying in bed all the time. We did some shopping on two or three occasions, which caused no problems whatsoever. I can therefore say that the procedure was a success. If your surgeon does a good job, you should not have any problems during recovery, provided that you take it easy and avoid heavy lifting and major physical activity. And I was also lucky that the lady in my life happens to be an excellent nurse!.