Paget's Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Paget's Disease.
The symptoms of Paget's disease vary from patient to patient. What were the symptoms at the onset of your disease?

I fell a few years ago and got a plateau fraction in my left leg. After the doctor put three screws in my leg, the break healed and I thought all was well. I started getting headaches and the doctor said maybe I had a pinched nerve. After not being able to control the headaches, the doctor did a radioactive bone scan. During the scan, they found the Paget's disease. Since then, my left leg has had a lot of deep, lower leg pain. At this time, my family doctor is sending me to see the bone specialist that did the surgery when I had the plateau fracture. They are thinking about taking out the screws and seeing if that helps my bone pain..

10 years ago my husband, then aged 72, started getting severe pains in his left knee. I was told it is arthritis, take pain killers and rub something on it. The pain persisted and got worse. I asked for x-rays which suggested Paget's, a blood test confirmed this although doctor admitted an ALP reading of 330 would not normally have raised his interest. More x rays, bone scans etc. which indicated he had the disease in many parts of his body with the knee most troublesome. A visit to an endocrinologist confirmed all this, but he (specialist turned out to be less than helpful. There followed more years of pain, pills and an arthroscopy. He moved from using a stick to using an electric scooter as walking became more and more painful. Sleeping was difficult, he was in pain within 10 mins of lying down in bed. Pain relief was increased to a 10mg patch Norspan once a week plus osteopanadol and endone. I finally persuaded him to return to another endocrinolgist who suggested Aredia infusion. He had this 4 days ago & is almost pain free but given his age 82, is a little more confused than normal. We hope he will settle as he is now talking of taking short walks. He has also been given Lyrica to try if needed and is continuing to use his patch. I am so hopeful this treatment will give him some pain free time. thank you WE are from England originally migrated to Australia in 1950.