Interstitial Cystitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Interstitial Cystitis.
Please describe your experience with interstitial cystitis.

I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis (IC) in 1994 when I was 42, I'm now 62. The first thing my urologist said after the diagnosis was that IC is acerbated by stress, and I have to get out of the 9-1-1 center. From my experience physical and emotional stress does affect. I went through all the treatments, medications and dietary restrictions. I felt like I was in hell for 3 years. I have been in remission for 20 years. Now it's back in full force! My urologist retired years ago, so I'm seeing a new one next week. I have 9 days to go. I'm in so much pain, confined to my home and not able to get more than 30 to 45 minutes of sleep at a time. I'm so afraid I am in another nightmare..

I began my experience with interstitial cystitis with awful and extreme pain in my lower pelvic area. The pain became so bad that I could not do any simple household chores or complete sentences. I was first sent to my urologist where a cystoscopy was performed. Then I was put on medications including, Hydroxyzine, Elmiron, Levsin SL and Flexeril. This slightly relieved my pain but not enough to make me feel I was still among the living. I then was sent to a pain specialist where they went over my test results and spoke to many of my doctors. I have had Crohn's disease, chronic fatigue, osteoarthritis and thyroid disease for many years. I was told that this interstitial cystitis was part of an auto-immune disease grouping that many people get. It’s as if your body is attacking itself, thinking good cells and tissue are bad and trying to destroy them. But of course, there are no bad cells or tissues, and my good tissues are being destroyed in this process. I would greatly urge anyone with this to be seen by as many doctors as possible for the ultimate in medication coverage. Then one must see a pain specialist to be given the most amount of pain relief medication possible without making a zombie out of you. With these things being done you will not be cured, but you will be able to “live” a better, more enjoyable life. .