Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shin Splints.
How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

I used to run cross-country competitively but stopped because of a sprained ankle. I started running again in preparation for army-officer fitness tests with no problem, but then I did a team race in my army issue boots, and I had to stop because of excruciating shin splints. I was told by a fellow officer cadet that she cured her shin splints by running through it: Do not try this! Thanks to her sage advice, I spent all of Christmas having to sit out on all physical activities with excruciating pain even when walking. Now I have the best trainers available on the market, orthotics for all footwear, and new shoes, all of which have some sort of heel, which has helped immensely. I personally haven't found the leg stretches have helped. I’m back to training now, but the pain has returned. I think it’s because of overexertion last night. It’s so frustrating!.

Six months ago, I had to have a total right knee replacement. Since then, I have been unable to do a great deal of exercise. Having now returned to work, I am walking about six to eight miles a day. I have now developed shin splints in my right leg, which at times, can be very painful. I'm taking ibuprofen three times a day with paracetamol, and I apply ice on the shin for 20 minutes before work. This has already started to ease the pain..