Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis).
The symptoms of diverticulitis (diverticulosis) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

I started getting burning pain in chest and lower left side and it went on for 6 days. I went to the emergency room because I feared a heart attack. I had blood work, EKG, ultra sound of the heart, and chest x-rays, and all came back clear. I have diverticulitis problem and thinking this is what it is. I also have pinched nerve in the neck and sometimes food feels like stuck in throat..

Published: December 18

I am a male in my 40s. About 5 years ago, I started to have a burning sensation in my lower left abdomen. Sometimes it radiates to my back, or legs, but it is mainly in the lower left abdomen. It is at its worst when I am sitting or lying down. Eating always makes it worse, no matter what food it is. I have tried all kinds of diets, including cutting seeds out of my life, and eating lots of fiber. I have been to at least 20 doctors, including gastroenterologists, urologists, radiologists, neurologists, and surgeons. I have had every possible testing done, some of them multiple times, including CT scans (with and without contrast), MRI, x-ray, ultrasound, and even a PET scan, which is usually only done for cancer screening. My blood work has never shown anything abnormal. I have had multiple colonoscopies and upper endoscopies done. Doctors have told me it was things like IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), diverticulitis, ulcers, and many more things, but all have been proven to be false. I have taken several rounds of Cipro and Flagyl for the diverticulitis, and my last colonoscopy showed that even the pouches vanished, which is impossible, so I either never had them or they are still there. Recently, a doctor told me it was some type of hernia, so I had a laparoscopy done, but that showed no signs for hernias, only some twisting of the large intestine, which my surgeon said he fixed. Five days later, I ended up in the emergency room because my heart was beating too fast once I realized all my symptoms were back after the surgery. Afterwards, a doctor told me it might be cancer, which was proven false with the PET scan. Then, I went to a psychiatrist and she diagnosed me with depression and anxiety, which I think is a result from having so many scares over the years and always being on the edge of my seat while waiting for results, so I am taking many medications for that. The burning went away for a month or so, but now it is back and I do not know how to deal with it and the depression at the same time..