Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis).
The symptoms of diverticulitis (diverticulosis) can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

I am 70 years old and usually very active. One night I began to experience pain in the lower abdomen. It was not a sharp or stabbing pain, but felt more like my intestines were twisting and blocked. As morning approached the pain traveled to the left side. The twisting pain was excruciating. I was doubling over and could not stand. I called my daughter and we went to the hospital. After an exam and x-ray of the lower colon, they decided I had diverticulitis. Hydrocodone 7.5-325 was prescribed for the pain. I was given Cipro and Flagyl to continue taking at home. After about 5 days, the pain disappeared. I have never felt such pain before..

Published: April 16

My symptoms of diverticulitis were abdominal and lower bowel pain that kept getting worse, and constipation. After a few days I was only getting small bloody stools and the pain increased in my abdomen and lower stomach. I also developed severe dizziness. The day they took me to the hospital I could not even stand up. It turns out that my colon had abscessed and was leaking into my peritoneal area and I was septic. I should have gotten to the hospital sooner..