MRSA - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA.
Please describe your experience with MRSA.

I work in an institution for traumatic brain injury residents. Many of them have had outbreaks of MRSA. Three years ago my (then) 12 year old daughter had a horrible bout/hospitalized with abscess' in her armpit. It then reoccurred a couple months later. Thank the good lord, she is fine now. However, a week ago I noticed a pretty bad "pimple" on my left buttock. I couldn't get to it and asked my husband to squeeze it, it hurt really badly. The next morning I woke to my whole cheek shiny red, in severe pain and felt a softball size lump in my rear (I only weigh 125 @ 5'8". I went to work anyway but left after an hour. My doctor cut it open and drained some, packed it and gave me 800mg of Bactrim 2 X's a day. I went back next day; she cut another spot, drained some and upped my dose of Bactrim to 3,600mg. a day. I have made a trip to the dr. every other day for going on two weeks, am missing work because some of our patients have low immune systems, plus the pain, ouch. I want this to go away, it’s scary and I feel really dirty!!! I have to sanitize the house constantly, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone!!.

In 2004 I was hospitalized for spinal surgery for scoliosis from t-1 to s-1. I was released 8 days later. I don't remember anything but screaming in pain. My partner called the surgeon and my internist and they subjectively thought I was seeking drugs. My partner knew differently and called the ambulance to take me back to the hospital. They thought I had a UTI, it turned out I had a bleeding kidney that was cut during surgery and an impacted bowel. They still didn't catch MRSA until four weeks after the surgery. I was initially treated with vancomycin and went into anaphylactic shock. At this time they changed my drug to Cipro which had little impact, after that I became septic and almost died. I don't remember much because of the massive amount of steroids and other meds I was on. I had 15 specialists in all during that 6 month period of hospitalization. After another five months I was able to walk with two canes. The pain was still intense. I was bent at a 30 degree angle because they had removed all the metal placed in and on my spine for the scoliosis. By the summer of 2008 I was told to see a surgeon because pain management wasn't working. A doctor found l-4 and 5, had been completely eaten away. I now stand straighter walk with one cane but my physiological functions are very different. I didn't sweat now I sweat profusely. I have little libido, tire very easily, have no appetite. I was fed by peg tube for three months. I want to know what is the prognosis for persons who have survived sepsis. I am now 68 years old and do not know my body. I did before the surgery. I am also on thyroid meds, narcolepsy, meds and meds for depression. I work part time which is all I can handle as a mental health/substance abuse therapist. I have lost over $300,000 in income because I lost my job. MRSA has been a truly catastrophic illness for me. I would love to hear from other survivors that were not expected to live..