Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Nodules.
What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

For the past year, I have been trying to lose weight like crazy. I reduced the amount of bad foods and started bringing in healthier foods, such as eating egg whites and whole wheat toast for breakfast, broccoli for lunch, etc. I noticed that my weight was slowing going up. Over the past year, I have gained around 30 lb. and I am actually eating healthier and exercising more now than ever. I have noticed pain, especially on the right side of my neck, and there is also a bump there. I decided to mention this to my doctor and she had me get blood work done to check my thyroid, and an ultrasound. My doctor said that the blood work came back normal with my thyroid, but the ultrasound showed that I have multiple nodules on my thyroid and a possible cyst on the one side. I found this out back in October and was referred to an endocrinologist. My appointment isn't until December 10, so I have to sit and wonder exactly what it is. I was told that they would do a biopsy and possibly MRI to see how serious it is and then they will decide what to do from there. With my symptoms, I have experienced weight gain, feeling more tired than usual, memory problems, and period issues (being light or not on time)..

Published: June 10

I went in to see the Ob/Gyn for my regular physical, and the doctor found a nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid (I hadn't noticed it, myself). Ultrasound confirmed a 2.5 cm nodule. I have now been referred out to an endocrinologist, so I am waiting until my appointment to find out if it's benign or malignant or caused by Hashimoto's. I have some symptoms of hypothyroidism (a 15 pound weight gain I cannot shake, very low energy, some memory problems, etc.), but the symptoms are so non-specific and/or have come on so gradually that I cannot say for certain they are caused by hypothyroidism. I think I have always been a little low energy, and I have certainly always been intolerant of cold. I lost quite a lot of hair, but that was several years ago, not recently (I thought it was normal for your hair to thin as you aged). I have noticed my skin is much drier than it used to be--but I noticed it more during the winter, and so the dryness could have been caused by indoor heating and outdoor wind (or, once again, it could just be aging). I am nervous and scared, but I am trying to remain rational..