Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thyroid Nodules.
What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Published: June 10

I went in to see the Ob/Gyn for my regular physical, and the doctor found a nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid (I hadn't noticed it, myself). Ultrasound confirmed a 2.5 cm nodule. I have now been referred out to an endocrinologist, so I am waiting until my appointment to find out if it's benign or malignant or caused by Hashimoto's. I have some symptoms of hypothyroidism (a 15 pound weight gain I cannot shake, very low energy, some memory problems, etc.), but the symptoms are so non-specific and/or have come on so gradually that I cannot say for certain they are caused by hypothyroidism. I think I have always been a little low energy, and I have certainly always been intolerant of cold. I lost quite a lot of hair, but that was several years ago, not recently (I thought it was normal for your hair to thin as you aged). I have noticed my skin is much drier than it used to be--but I noticed it more during the winter, and so the dryness could have been caused by indoor heating and outdoor wind (or, once again, it could just be aging). I am nervous and scared, but I am trying to remain rational..

In 2006, I had a lot of pain in my muscles, joints and long and heavy periods, acne, weight gain, etc. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and insulin resistance. I am on .025 Synthroid and 500 mg Metformin. I have been OK until last May 2008 when they discovered two swollen nodules on my thyroid. They are going to perform a needle biopsy. I have a hard time swallowing and even touching my throat. My hormone levels are normal, but my autoimmune antibodies are high. I am in tons of pain in my joints and muscles. I sleep all day long and night, my face is breaking out, and my periods are heavy again. My specialist said that it can't be from Hashimoto’s, but my family doctor said it is. I feel like I am going crazy, but the signs are all there that it is Hashimoto’s. I am just waiting on my biopsy to see what the next step is. .