Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection.
How long did the symptoms of your staph infection last?

My war on staph: I got this nasty infection last year in the worst place you can get it for a guy: the groin. I went to the hospital and they had to operate. Luckily they caught it in time. The sad part about it is I was unemployed and had no health insurance at the time. They only gave me a limited amount of medicines to treat it. This is where I had to learn the hard way. I ended up getting re-infected with more than 13 on my body at a time. I finally came down with a system to help prevent and neutralize boils. This does not replace a doctor though, as a disclaimer. There aren't many manuals out there on preventing re-infection, so I'll try my best here. This infection is not environmentally friendly and should not be treated as such. If you want to get rid of it, then you'll need to be exceptionally clean. Do not use washcloths in the shower (this can spread it over your body more). Do not take baths; showers are better. Use anti-bacterial bar soap to minimize the spread. When you towel off, dry the affected areas last. Do not reuse your towels or clothing. Wash your hands any time they come into contact with sores or anything discharging from your skin, again, anti-bacterial soap is preferred. After toweling off, make sure you have the following: PRID Homeopathic Drawing Salve, Boil Ease (painkiller), Tea Tree Oil, bandages (choose something that covers the affected area so whatever oozes out doesn't spread to another part of the body), and Q-Tips. I changed my bandages twice a day. I applied the first set straight out of the shower in the morning. The PRID, boilease, and tea tree oil would be applied to the bandages via the Q-Tip so as not to infect the medicine itself and placed over the areas that were either forming or discharging. If the bandages are a dark red when you pull them off, then it is working. Strip all bed sheets and pillows or any cloth your skin comes in contact with and get them washed, trashed, or burned. You can buy those anti-bacterial hand and face wipes to help clean furniture. Lysol also works but read the instructions before you apply as to how long you need to let it set because it can irritate your skin and lungs. .

Published: March 22

I was hospitalized 60 days over a period of five months. I had no idea that I had a staph infection. My doctor and I thought it was sciatica. After a week of intense pain, my hand swelled up. I went to urgent care and the doctor sent me to the emergency room. Within two hours, I was in the first of 13 surgeries. The infection spread all over my body. I learned later that the infection started in my hip, which was the largest area of abscess. I have since had to have my hip replaced and also had a rib removed and clavicle bone. I am still on antibiotics a year later. I am very lucky to have survived..