Electric Shock - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Electric Shock.
Please share your experience with electric shock.

Published: April 07

I received a low-voltage shock on the job. The electrical event caused 3rd degree burns on 2 fingers 1 1/2 years ago. I have seen many doctors, tried Lyrica and Neurontin, but the drugs have not helped. I experience pain symptoms and heavy fatigue every day. I am looking for any dietary suggestions..

In 1972, I was a machinist on an aircraft carrier. At the time, I was working in an auxiliary machine room (generators and evaporators). My sister had recently sent me a technical pen for drawing. That day, I was on duty (cold iron), when I was cleaning the pen. As I screwed the pen-tip off. It dropped and went through the grating into the bilges. I grabbed a flashlight and went down looking for it. When I pulled out the grating, there were several inches of water in the bilges. As I was standing in the bilges to find the tip, I thought I saw it. As I reached down to grab it, I needed to balance myself. I put my right hand on what was supposed to have been an insulated electrical cable. I found out later it supplied power for an emergency fire pump. As my hand touched the cable, I was immediately frozen in place. I couldn't manage to pull my hand off. I'm not sure how long I was stuck to that cable. My best guess is 10-15 seconds. I was finally able to pull free. I couldn't get up for a few minutes after that because my body was having severe muscle spasms. A few minutes later, I got up and found myself disoriented. I finally made it up to the next deck. I went to sick bay and the doctor gave me two aspirin and told me to take a couple days off. Two days later, I went down to the electrical trunk above where I worked to tell the electricians what happened. They couldn't believe I was alive. One of them said that cable is carrying 2000 amps. The other one said “There are enough amps in that thing to kill an elephant!” So, of course I wonder what it did, if it didn’t kill me. I was depressed for a long time and had to have surgery on my spine (C6-7)..