Clostridium Difficile Colitis - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis).
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your clostridium difficile colitis (antibiotic-associated colitis, c. difficile colitis)?

I was put on antibiotics for a sinus infection (Augmentin 800) and got diarrhea a few days later. The diarrhea never fully went away and after a couple of months, my stool became airy, small and floaty. I felt like I always had to go but when I did very little would come out. It kept me up several nights with feeling constipated but then not being able to go only a little bit. The doctor put me on Flagyl and flora-q. After 3-4 days of that, I still was not getting better and started running a low grade fever off and on and had all over belly cramps. I did get better for a few days and then the diarrhea came back full force as soon as I stopped the Flagyl. A colonoscopy was ordered and my entire colon was filled with pseudomembranous colitis (yellow looking patches). The doctor ordered Vancocin which cost me 300.00 after insurance paid 900.00. I have been on it for a week and my bowels are starting to get more normal. This was an expensive illness in a usually young healthy woman!.

My father is currently in ICU after several weeks of misdiagnosis of c. Diff. Because it was missed by several doctors and a previous hosp stay, he has lost his colon in an emergency surgery a week ago. At 74 he'll now have to wear an ostomy bag for the rest of his life. We still can't get answers and or info about the future except from on line like this that we're in for more bouts - is that possible with the colon removed? Where else can c. Diff attack? I've persuaded my mom to finally call in an infectious disease specialist to evaluate his care. They think he's ready to move out of ICU and we are waiting for a room to become avail - with another c. Diff patient! Does that sound right? keep it around him! We believe he picked it up from yet another hospital in July when he had a stent put in. I can't imagine what is next for him. Get help and stay aggressive in wanting more help, your life is depending on it..