Bacterial Vaginosis - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Vaginosis.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bacterial vaginosis?

I'm 40 years old and never had bacterial vaginosis before this past year. Today I went to the doctor for the third time in nine months. He gave me prescriptionss for Metronidazole (Flagyl) — both the cream and pills. He said I could take either one, they both work the same. He told me that for his patients that get a re-occurrence four to six times a year, he gives out a bunch of refills and for his patients that get it every month, he recommends taking a pill once a week just to keep a little of the antibiotic in your system. When I became infected with bacterial vaginosis the first time, I had been having sex with a new partner for five months. I wonder if this is only a coincidence. I'm still with the same (and only) partner. For me, I think stress is definitely my trigger. The first time was one week before my reconstructive knee surgery and the second and third times were immediately after a pretty nasty argument and breakup with said boyfriend. I chose to fill the prescription for the cream this time since I used the pills the last two times. .

UGHHH! BV again. This bv crap has really just torn me apart. I'm really funny about my downstairs area and it bothers me when things aren't peachy fresh but it's impossible to be fresh with bv popping up every minute. I have taken the medicine over and over again and I hate it because it gives me bad feelings like upset stomach and a metallic taste in my mouth but I take it because I want to be cured. Bv is also ruining my marriage because I can't figure why it keeps coming back and feel it may be my husband and he thinks I'm crazy and insecure with myself for always blaming him for cheating. I have been to 6 different doctors and no one can tell me why I keep developing this monster of an infection. Please help me someone has anyone found out yet why bv keep coming back. I'm miserable and depressed because I feel so nasty and I smell bad and can't imagine having sex with my husband smelling like I do. PLEASE HELP ME!!.