Bacterial Vaginosis - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bacterial Vaginosis.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bacterial vaginosis?

I am 26 years old. I have had bacterial vaginosis (BV) for almost 2 years. When I first had symptoms, I thought it was a yeast infection. I never really get any discharge with the bacterial infection as you would in a yeast infection but my symptoms are burning and itching, bad! I started going to my obstetrician/gynecologist for this and he put me on treatment with Cervugid ovules (vaginal suppository). After two months of treatment with Cervugid ovules, I had medical tests again and BV went away. I was cured of the disease. I am very happy that I got rid of that awful itching and horrible smell. Now I can start my life again..

I'm 40 years old and never had bacterial vaginosis before this past year. Today I went to the doctor for the third time in nine months. He gave me prescriptionss for Metronidazole (Flagyl) — both the cream and pills. He said I could take either one, they both work the same. He told me that for his patients that get a re-occurrence four to six times a year, he gives out a bunch of refills and for his patients that get it every month, he recommends taking a pill once a week just to keep a little of the antibiotic in your system. When I became infected with bacterial vaginosis the first time, I had been having sex with a new partner for five months. I wonder if this is only a coincidence. I'm still with the same (and only) partner. For me, I think stress is definitely my trigger. The first time was one week before my reconstructive knee surgery and the second and third times were immediately after a pretty nasty argument and breakup with said boyfriend. I chose to fill the prescription for the cream this time since I used the pills the last two times. .