Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Spinal Stenosis.
Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Published: June 04

I have been living with lower back pain for over a year now, I have numbing in the lower back down my left leg to the knee area. When I had my job and insurance I was going to therapy; sometimes it helped and other times it didn't. I went to a doctor to see if I qualify for disability and I told him I know I already have a bone spur and they took x-rays and found about 6 bone spurs. So as of June 2nd I am still living in pain with my lumbar spinal stenosis..

I have been suffering lumbar spinal stenosis for more than 20 years. I became disabled about 4 1/2 years ago due to sciatica pain and back pain, which were too intense to function as my job required. Every family doctor, 2 neurosurgeons, sports medicine doctor, all said nothing could be done. Even 3 trips to pain management was a waste of time for the pain was not relieved. Now 12 years later with very little relief due to chiropractic care, I am now in more pain, and the sports medicine doctor wants to do spinal fusion surgery. I need something but am scared that this will make pain worse. I can't even walk around my home 2 times for pain is unbearable now, so I am strongly considering this surgery. I am not sure what to do to get relief. I also suffer with intercostal neuroglia that I can hardly breathe for pain, or lay on right side due to intense pain. This, they say, is due to bone spurs bridging in thoracic 7 through 11 vertebra..