Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome.

I had been in constant pain at night in both hands for ever and eventually went to my doctor who in turn sent me to a specialist. He diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome and advised that I should have the procedure. I had the left hand done 5 years ago because I am right handed and also disabled so thought I would not have that hand done first. Well, the left hand is fine but the right hand was getting worse and driving me crazy so I had the operation Tuesday under local anesthetic. The pain is still intense and the numbness is still apparent, so I don't think it worked but I will persevere with it as it is only 5 days ago. I am still in a dressing and bandage and due to go to my doctor Friday for a checkup, but the nagging dull pain I got at night has gone and I am sleeping better. I will just have to wait and see if it improves..

My tarsal tunnel syndrome started about eight years ago. My feet started to feel as if they were burning. I thought it might just be my shoes, or socks, or just tired feet. But the burning didn't go away, it got worse over time. It was almost unbearable some days. Then I started getting the tingling and numbness. I finally went to the doctor, and he did some diabetes tests and then prescribed some medicine. It took a couple of tries, but we finally settled on Amitriptyline and Lyrica. They worked, somewhat. The side affects included drowsiness - I had zero energy almost all day long, and I would fall asleep soon after getting home from work, causing me to not be able to get to sleep later in the night when I usually went to bed. We adjusted the strengths and times for the medicine, which did help with the drowsiness, but then the strength of the medicine wasn't enough to give me any real relief from the pain. By now, I'm getting shooting pains all over my feet, too. I'm about going out of my head with the pains, the numbness, and the tingling. I think I may have found doctors who can help with surgery, but I found out they don't work with my insurance carrier. I'm that close, and now I can't pay for relief. Hopefully I can work something out with these doctors or with my insurance carrier. Maybe there's other doctor's in the Denver area that do the surgery, and can work with my insurance company. .