Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hot Flashes.
Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

They are terrible! I sweat like a man, I'm so hot I can't stand it, I take a fan almost every where I go, everywhere with an electric outlet. I'm African American, my hair "goes back” and frizzes up, I can't keep my hair done, relaxers just don't work any more. My deodorant cooks off, near the end of the day, I would smell something and realized it was me! I carry a baggy and washcloth and deodorant with me, in my purse. I am up maybe 3-4 times a night, my nightgown is usually soaked, from sweating. I always said I would be glad when menopause started, but boy was I wrong! I would have a period maybe once every 5 months, and even though the period would be very heavy, the other symptoms would stop. I'd be glad for the period..

I have had uterus removed which is called abdominal hysterectomy and then years later I had my right ovary removed. I have had trouble with my left ovary every since. I was given a birth control shot 2 months ago I am 42 I think the shot was called premovara or something with a P. Now for the last month I have severe hot flashes all day and night. I have to change my shirt about 7 times a day. It is summer time and air conditioner is on. I had to turn down to 74 and it is still too cold. Every time I soak my shirt and my hair gets soaked I freeze so back under covers then hot again then take off covers and freeze again. I am exhausted and want to leave my home and run away from husband and dogs. I would have never left my dogs in a million years. Children are grown and doggies are my babies, but lately I would leave everything to just run away but where would I go. I had a pelvic ultrasound 2 days ago and ovary was shrunk so small she could hardly find it. 6 weeks ago it was big as softball. I really feel the shot has put me into premature or full blown menopause. I go back to OBGYN in 6 weeks for another shot. I am going to get blood test to check for menopause before I let them give me a shot. My mother had breast cancer stage 3 and is a 10 year survivor now but they have already told me no hormones and estrogen for me when I have menopause because of my mother. I am miserable and tired hot and cold. I hate it. I thought it only lasted 1 year but after reading about it lasting 5-10 I don't think I can take it that long..