Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: April 12

I am 46, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) in 2014. My main symptoms were extreme tiredness, weight gain, brain fog, depression, difficulty concentrating or having any real interest in anything, tinnitus, feeling cold, vitiligo, hair loss and withdrawal from social activity, patches of dry skin, pressure behind eyes, itchy and sensitive skin around eyes, worsening vision, dizziness, itchy arms and legs, water retention, aches and pains. I started on 50 mcg of levothyroxine and am now on 125 mcg. I don't feel much better, I am hoping my last increase of levothyroxine helps and I have also started to supplement iron, B12, vitamin C, vitamin D3 and magnesium. Apparently it is important to get all nutrient levels up in order to get the best from the thyroid medications. I am moody, impatient and constantly tired, cold and hungry. I do have hope as I know some people feel better once they have started to look after their diet, etc. I have cut right down on gluten and the bloating has improved, I now have to watch the goitrogenic foods and aim to cut down on dairy. It is a total lifestyle change, and a much lesser life to be honest. I cry on a regular basis for no real reason and eat like an elephant. I have gained 3 and a half stone. When I get a bit of energy I may look into natural thyroid hormone replacement but at the moment there is so much information to take in so slowly does it..

Published: December 22

I have had Hashimoto's thyroiditis for about 10 years, it is not a picnic. My heart is missing beats but strong, eyes are getting worse, and knees are wearing out. I used to weigh 160 lb. and was very active. I now weigh 260 lb., feel awful, and cold; so cold. I try to stay away from sick people as I get sick, really sick. I have flu shot every year. I watch what I eat, calories 1400 a day. I feel so hungry sometimes, I feel like an animal. My hair is falling out all over, I have to tie it up to cook otherwise hair in food. Where I sit I have to vacuum every day. But I have a good doctor..