Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

I am not sure if I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis or hypothyroidism. My first endocrinologist said I have Hashimoto's. When they first told me I have papillary carcinoma I had one side of my goiter removed. After my surgery I never was given any radiation treatment. I'm kind of confused. I was told I should've been given that treatment. I use to be 95 lb. to 105 lb. in my late 30s now I'm 202 lb. I'm constantly tired. Every part of my joints hurt, my muscles hurt, I fell a couple of times, and I even had 3 injections in my knee. I tried all kinds of diet, even juicing and natural. I don't know what to do. I keep telling my doctors I tried all kinds of diet. I use to be very active. How do I get my doctors to listen! When your fatigue is so high how you do get them to listen! I can eat small portions and not even in between. I even think about fasting like when I was younger where we would make a bet between relatives to get them motivated. I heard about Armour thyroid. I will suggest it but also heard that many endocrinologists would put it down. I don’t know what I can do to rebuild my metabolism. At times I just want to stop taking my Synthroid..

Published: March 03

I’m 52 yrs old tomorrow March 4. I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 2 weeks ago. I have suffered the last five months with hives and pin prick itch and really hot skin sometimes, mostly around the neck. The skin on arms sometimes feels like a very mild sunburn...energy has been good...always been a moody worry wart person my whole life so don’t think I can blame my anxiety and depression on Hashimoto’s I guess in the scope of things that you can get this isn’t so bad for me as of yet the odd thing is I don’t see many people complain about the symptoms I have also just want to say make sure you insist on getting the medical care you want and deserve. I spent 5 months and 4 doctors to finally find one that listened and was determined to find out my problem my GP I think, just tuned me out and chalked everything up to anxiety by the way my tch always checked fine and still does but my internal medicine specialist decided to test for antigens and I was loaded with them I guess. I hope they find a cure for these autoimmune diseases soon as my son and brother in law have another form of auto called crohn's..