Salmonella - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Salmonella.
What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with Salmonella infection?

I had chronic diarrhea. I don’t have any vomiting or stomach cramps though, so I just wrote it off as stress. About a week after the diarrhea started, I developed sudden and severe arthritis in the feet and ankles. Apparently, this is an extremely rare side effect of salmonella infection. It took a while for the doctors to figure out what was going on with me, and unfortunately, the arthritis can be very long-lasting..

I had an aching feeling set in late one evening. I thought I was getting the flu. Overnight diarrhea set in and progressively got worse and I began to sweat profusely. The next night I was making bathroom trips every 30 minutes or so with severe diarrhea. I had no appetite and I was not very thirsty even though I was still sweating very badly. I still had no fever, but back ache was much worse. I thought I might be passing another kidney stone. The next night I had nausea and very dark urine, so I went to my Doctor and a possible stone was diagnosed. Early the next morning I woke to go to the bathroom and was very dizzy. I managed to sit on the toilet, but woke up on the floor with a red mark on my forehead. My back pain was very strong on the middle left side of my back. After a short nap it felt lower on the left side. I went for a CT scan and they discovered no kidney stones, but a ruptured spleen. I was hospitalized for the spleen, and with every test given to me, nothing was found until a stool culture revealed Salmonella. Three days later, I was re-admitted to the hospital for a perennial abscess that may have also been caused by the Salmonella. Since they could not find any visible signs of trauma. The surgeon concluded that the spleen rupture was caused by my fainting. I have read online that though rare, a spleen fracture could be caused by a case of Salmonella. .