Salmonella - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Salmonella.
What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with Salmonella infection?

I was diagnosed with first with Salmonella typhi. They are double checking the results on the Washington State level. We are waiting to hear the results on that. My attending doctor at the hospital last week, found the results of Salmonella typhi. The county health inspector says I have Salmonella para typhi. All I know is I keep a food diary of what when, and where I eat. According to my diary, and the incubation period, it points to a Chinese restaurant where I ate a beef and broccoli. The owner/cook at that cafe took a recent trip to China and back. I believe that is the culprit. According to our County Health Department there is nothing we can do. So that is my story. I spent five days in the hospital and almost died. First symptoms were; head ache, achy joints, and constipation and low grade fever. At the emergency room that evening, I started diarrhea and didn't stop until the doctor finally diagnosed Salmonella typhi and put me on antibiotics and I got better enough to go home Saturday. We are waiting for the states redoubling tests results and was told they won't tell me the results! So next week we will call the visiting the doctor and hope he can get answers so they can stop this restaurant and carrier before they kill someone! I ate at the suspect restaurant on 2/1/16..

I had chronic diarrhea. I don’t have any vomiting or stomach cramps though, so I just wrote it off as stress. About a week after the diarrhea started, I developed sudden and severe arthritis in the feet and ankles. Apparently, this is an extremely rare side effect of salmonella infection. It took a while for the doctors to figure out what was going on with me, and unfortunately, the arthritis can be very long-lasting..