Aortic Aneurysm - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Aortic Aneurysm.
What was the cause of your aortic aneurysm, or that of a friend of family member if known.

(Optional)

Published: March 31

I had abdominal aortic aneurysm open repair, and the cause was smoking. It was done on 9/12/02, 13.5 years ago. After a 3 month recovery, I never had a problem. I was 58 years old at the time, soon to be 73. I asked the vascular surgeon who did the surgery, how long I had to live. His reply was, 'see you in 40 years', and never saw him again! I do feel fortunate..

I was just diagnosed with having and an aortic aneurysm, 3 cm in size; along with a list of many other things. It was a little overwhelming to say the least. I originally went in for an umbilical hernia and symptoms of additional hernias in my groin. Well, after the CT scan many other things showed up, to my surprise. I was not aware nor had any symptoms of the aortic aneurysm other than that my legs always hurt, I tired easily but I contributed that to getting older and having low back problems from a prior accident. I am going tomorrow for a consult with a cardiologist for clogged arterial walls. Will see what happens, and please wish me luck; I need it..

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow