Muscle Cramps - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Muscle Cramps.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your muscle cramps?

A Banana daily for the magnesium in it used to ward off the nighttime leg cramps. Now a Magnesium and Calcium combined supplement seems to help. When it doesn't; one, Ibuprofen (400mg) helps. This has been an intermittent problem from my 40 to 70's and each time it returns it is more severe and covers larger areas of the arms and leg muscles. Particularly in wet or humid weather. .

I was getting very severe muscle cramps in my legs and above my knees. They would tighten up and hurt so bad I couldn't do anything but scream and rub my leg. I had it so bad one night, if I could have gotten up to get my gun, I would have used it! [I think] After I stopped using ALL sweeteners [not real sugar] my leg cramps stopped. However, recently I have been getting them again due to my lack of Potassium. I was put on 40 MG of Lasix. There is something one can take that is guaranteed for milder leg cramps or “Charlie Horse" as I've heard it referred too. Quinine really works!! One of my problems is I don't drink enough liquids! Hope this helps someone, because I can't think of anything more painful then muscle cramps in the keg or thigh-at least the kind I was getting!.