Cellulitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cellulitis.
The symptoms of cellulitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Published: December 01

I have just completed a 7 day hospital visit followed up by a further 2 weeks of Oral Anti-biotic Treatment for Cellulitis. Having cut the skin on my shins on a couple of occasions and thought nothing of it. I visited Sri Lanka on holiday and rather than seeing an improvement in the scars; when I returned, they had worsened and started to show signs of weeping. Having always been told to try and keep them open for the best form of recovery, in this instance it clearly did not help and the different environment, plus flights and everything else conspired to make the condition worse. Once the fever stared on my return, an immediate visit to the doctors started a process of recovery. After 3 weeks off work including 7 days of Hospitalization for IV drugs, I am almost there. Barring a bit of tiredness. The leg scarring is better and the moral of the story is look after yourself a bit better and you may prevent a further outbreak!.

Published: December 16

I was just cleaning the house on a Friday morn and suddenly felt sick. I immediately laid down and began feeling feverish. My temp was about 99.1. and climbed to 105.1 within a few hours. My husband had to basically carry me to the car then to urgent care. They diagnosed me with the flu although nasal test was negative. I had a small bumpy, red rash on my lower leg and upper leg pain and had told the doctor this. He said viruses often cause rashes. The next day, I noticed a bright redness on my left upper and lower leg. Ultimately, I was admitted to the hospital and started on two different medications. Doppler ruled out DVT so it was determined to be cellulitis. While in hospital I could not bear weight on my left leg. .