Roseola - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Roseola.
Please describe your experience with roseola.

I got roseola at the age of 47, which was quite frightening. I had a fever for 8 days that would spike to 103 at night and intermittently throughout the day. The headaches and joint pain were excruciating. On day 4 of the fever I was admitted to the hospital because I had a rash over my entire body (except my face) and a viral hepatitis (apparently this was in response to the roseola). I remained in the hospital until my fever broke and liver enzymes began to improve. It took an infectious disease doctor to figure out that it was HHV-6. All in all, the worst of the symptoms lasted a week, but I remained exhausted for at least another two weeks. It appears that I have recovered fully, thank goodness..

My 16 month old was diagnosed with roseola as well. He woke up in the night early one Thursday morning puking in bed. The next morning I had to go in and wake him and he was feverish around 101.6. I gave him Tylenol, and three hours later his fever spiked to 102.5. I called the doctor and told them the symptoms and we went in. They said it was most likely a viral infection and sent us home with antibiotics. He started those and still had fever, with added diarrhea. The next day he had no fever, then that evening (Friday) he spiked to 101.6 and before I knew it was up to 103.4. He was very lethargic, lying and moaning with his knees up under him. Then the next two days no fever, no eating, just milk and runny diapers. Then by Monday (a holiday no less) he had a full on rash all over his back and tummy, some on his face and legs. I called the doctor on Tuesday thinking it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. We went to the doctor and he was diagnosed. It was very scary and very unexpected. Unfortunately we exposed a lot of other children to this because it wasn't detected sooner..