Vasculitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vasculitis.
Please describe your experience with vasculitis.

I had vasculitus some years ago. I was in hospital for a long time, during this time I was very ill, the symptoms started where I felt very dizzy and weak. A few days later I got a rash on my legs which was the same as the rash you get with meningitis at first it was just on my legs but soon spread to my whole body ,the pain was terrible . I was covered head to foot in this rash, some of the time I was given morphine for the pain, it was also treated with steroids and antibiotics and lots of other medication. I now have kidney disease which I have been told from the renal clinic is due to me having vasculitus. My heart is also enlarged; my legs are also affected by this. I was having blood tests and scans every 3 month as my kidneys were bleeding all the time. I am now seen yearly at a hospital. It is very frightening having this illness and no one ever found out why I got it..

I am a 53-year-old female that has been diagnosed with vasculitis (PAN). I was referred to a rheumatologist and am on prednisone and methotrexate, probably for two years. My symptoms were lesions on my legs, Reynaud’s syndrome in my fingers and toes, fevers, muscle and joint pain, and fatigue. My doctor says the longer I am on treatment, the better my chances are for a long-term remission. I spent 10 months with one doctor before I tried an internist, who suggested right away that it might be vasculitis. I am grateful for the quick diagnosis..