Thrombocytopenia - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count).
Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.

Published: March 25

Through a routine CBC my primary care physician discovered my platelets were 54 and sent me to a hematologist to find out why. Nine months later there is still no explanation for my thrombocytopenia. All other lab numbers are good and none of my 4 medications seems to be affecting it. I have had a spleen ultrasound, a liver/spleen scan, referred to a liver specialist and sent for a second opinion with another hematologist at a medical school. Platelets dropped to 44 so a 2 week trial of steroids was started just to see if that would raise them but so far they have just gone back to 59. The time, money, worry and frustration sets in because you don't know if there is something there lurking undercover or not. The next step is just to have hospital records marked that any scheduled surgeries will require a platelet transfusion. In case of an accident or being at a different hospital I just hope I will be conscious and aware enough to tell medical workers I have a low platelet count..

I was diagnosed with ITP at age 27 (I am 45 now). I too was shocked because it appeared out of nowhere. All of a sudden my legs were covered with small red dots and I had no energy. By the time I went to the doctor and had a blood test, my platelets were at 9,000. I was admitted to the hospital that night. Luckily, all the other tests that were taken (including a bone marrow biopsy) were clean. I responded well to the prednisone but it took 5 years of taking this medication on and off before getting back to normal. I have not had any recurrences since. I hope the others on this post have the same results - don't get discouraged..