Thrombocytopenia - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count).
Please describe your experience with Thrombocytopenia.

I was diagnosed with ITP at age 27 (I am 45 now). I too was shocked because it appeared out of nowhere. All of a sudden my legs were covered with small red dots and I had no energy. By the time I went to the doctor and had a blood test, my platelets were at 9,000. I was admitted to the hospital that night. Luckily, all the other tests that were taken (including a bone marrow biopsy) were clean. I responded well to the prednisone but it took 5 years of taking this medication on and off before getting back to normal. I have not had any recurrences since. I hope the others on this post have the same results - don't get discouraged..

I am 20 years old. I was diagnosed with severe thrombocytopenia, and we are still trying to figure out the underlying cause. Basically, one day I just woke up one day feeling like I was hit by a truck. Two weeks later I am going in and out of the doctor’s office complaining of severe pain, and he cannot figure out why so he sends me to the E.R. only to find out that I have a platelet count of less than 7,000 and my body is spontaneously bleeding just about everywhere, and in my brain. Another four hours (their guess) and I would have been dead. They did a transfusion, and kept me in reverse isolation for three days then sent me home. I have been on steroids ever since. They have still not figured out why that happened, only that every time they take me off a steroid pill, my platelet count drops by 100,000. And now, I 'm on my last pill. They are taking me off of it this week to "see how I do". Wish me luck....