Hyponatremia - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hyponatremia (Low Sodium).
What was the cause of your hyponatremia?

My sodium dipped to 116 at which point the doctor sent me to the emergency room. He ran tests for a week checking heart, lungs and kidneys. All were fine except a scarring in the lungs probably caused by coccidioidomycosis I contracted some 30 years ago. The low sodium (hyponatremia) was probably caused by a diuretic blood pressure medicine plus excessive sweating playing golf in the summer. My sodium was back up to 136 when I left the hospital a week later. I now drink a lot of Gatorade and V8 juice to keep my sodium levels up. I am 80 years old and that probably has something to do with the low sodium levels as well. Getting old is not for sissies!.

Published: December 03

I had a terrible cold, and couldn't breathe through my nose, or sleep. I couldn’t find any decongestants at home so I started drinking more water than usual. I also habitually drank a lot of water at night because my bedroom is dry, so my tolerance of it had to have gone up, and I guess my sodium levels were also always a bit low since I don't eat a lot of boxed or restaurant food. It also goes to show that when you don't weigh that much it's very easy to drink too much water and get hyponatremia without knowing what's wrong (even though I've heard about it before in advanced placement biology, what an idiot). I felt sick to my stomach, vomited, and started shaking horrendously, which made me feel something was really wrong, so I had my parents drive me to the clinic, where I had a grand mal seizure (and bit my tongue) and was driven in an ambulance to the hospital. They ruled everything else out like tumors and liver problems, found out I had severe hyponatremia (114 mEq/L), and I spent two days in a room with a saline drip until I was coherent and able to walk. The doctor explained everything to us like we were all morons, and brought in a psychiatrist because he didn't think I could possibly do it on accident, so it indubitably turned into the most embarrassing period of my life so far. I was put on a 1200 to 1500 ml daily fluid restriction and sent home..