Hyponatremia - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hyponatremia (Low Sodium).
What was the cause of your hyponatremia?

I was working in dreadful heat and humidity (over a 5 year period), and had 5 separate severe night (when sleeping) seizures in the final 18 months of my contract. None of the range of specialists I saw diagnosed the underlying problem, my naturally good (low) blood pressure, being thrust to dangerously low levels after I drank lots of water and urinated a lot at night. That washed a lot of salt out of my body causing the hyponatremia induced seizures. It stopped when I stopped drinking a lot of water and started having 12 salt tablets each day..

I suffered a bout of hyponatremia in November 2013. I was feeling unwell before that, tired, and a bit depressed. Then, I had an immense craving for salt. I was making popcorn in saucepan, and putting salt on it; eating vegemite (an Australian product), which contains a lot of salt. I also sprinkled salt into my hand and used that also. I was told by the hospital I would have had hyponatremia or a stroke. I remember nothing about it. I don't know if I had a seizure. I was found at home, unconscious, and revived by a friend who knew 1st aid. I'd been lying on the couch all night. He said my skin was sallow and my lips were blue; not enough oxygen and I was barely breathing. Ambulance got me to the hospital. A nurse was by my bedside for a few days. I was told I couldn't speak properly, slumped in a chair. I can't remember much about it at all. Then, one morning I sort of 'woke up', looked around and realized I was in a hospital. Things started improve, and I'm o.k. now, but extremely careful. Not sure what caused this to happen..