Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insulin Resistance.
Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.

When I was very young, my neck was dark where it had an oily appearance; it look like I was wearing a dark collar around my neck. I was chubby during years in elementary school. I did not know that diabetes was on my mother's side of the family until I was older, followed by heart disease. My mother died at the age of 56 when she had a cardiac arrest, and kidney disease. Now, I'm taking good care of myself by taking my medications, my insulin, and doing some walking exercises. I don't want to meet the same fate like my mother had done..

Published: December 10

We discovered my daughter’s insulin resistance in the strangest way. My daughter was FINALLY diagnosed with this at the age of 19 after we read a magazine article where she had all of the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) except one. Then her gynecologist discovered two baseball sized cysts on one of her ovaries. The sad part is that we've been trying to find out what was 'wrong' with her since she was a toddler. She gained 3 pounds the 1st two weeks after she was born on breast milk, and continued to gain weight at an alarming rate for the next 19 years. She ate the same food as our other two children, and in smaller quantities than our son, but gained weight no matter what we did. We tried every medically approved 'diet' with no success; she either gained weight on them or only lost 2-3 pounds in a 6-month period. When she was about 10, her doctor sent blood to a lab in another state after the local tests revealed no problems. I don't even remember how many thyroid tests were done. All of her blood work comes back 'inconclusive' and her numbers are just barely inside the normal ranges. The dark patches of skin at the base of her neck, on her knuckles, and on the inside of her legs were never even investigated, even after I made her neck bleed once trying to get her neck 'clean'. When we read the magazine article that sounded as if it had been written about my daughter, we realized that in all of the blood work done over the years, we had never seen a result for her insulin level. When I contacted her doctor, the nurse told me that checking insulin levels is not part of the 'complete' blood work they did about every 6 months. They agreed to test her insulin levels, and discovered her level was 3 times the normal; her # was 67, with normal range between 3 and 20. She has been on 2,000 mg a day of metformin since then (she is now 27), and her levels still range between 25 and 35. The weight gain has stopped, but she cannot seem to lose weight no matter what she tries. It really frustrates us that if this problem had been discovered when she was a child a lot of misery could have been avoided..