Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insulin Resistance.
Please describe your experience with insulin resistance.

After having been told for eight years that I have diabetes almost to the stage of needing injectable insulin, my doctor performed a peptide blood test on me, found my insulin was very high, and that my diabetes is producing plenty of insulin! I am not diabetic, I am insulin resistant. Now I have to rethink my medications. Why am I taking glipizide and Januvia to force my pancreas to manufacture insulin if I already am above the normal scale for insulin!.

When I was very young, my neck was dark where it had an oily appearance; it look like I was wearing a dark collar around my neck. I was chubby during years in elementary school. I did not know that diabetes was on my mother's side of the family until I was older, followed by heart disease. My mother died at the age of 56 when she had a cardiac arrest, and kidney disease. Now, I'm taking good care of myself by taking my medications, my insulin, and doing some walking exercises. I don't want to meet the same fate like my mother had done..