Hypercalcemia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels).
Please describe your experience with Hypercalcemia.

I was visiting my doctor, for a second option for Lupus. After suffering for weeks from chronic headaches, and fatigue, with some nausea, my major issue was the lack of energy and headaches I was suffering from. He took blood and advised me that my calcium levels were elevated as well as my white blood cell count. My thyroid levels were normal; Lupus was negative, so now I’m left seeking the cause of the condition. New symptoms have started to include, dizziness, rapid heartbeat. It feels like a panic attack. My muscles feel like jell-o sometimes. Wish me luck with finding the cause..

I was diagnosed with hypercalcemia 15 years ago in a pre-op [appendicitis] blood test, and later had a parathyroid adenoma removed. Shortly after, I had a return of symptoms but had to fight for 11 years to be taken seriously. One registrar told me bluntly that it had to be postnatal depression! When the hypercalcemia was finally confirmed I was sent to another hospital which took 2 years to do more tests before finally offering me cinacalcet and another operation. Fine - but the surgeon removed a piece of lymph tissue not an adenoma. Now I await more cinacalcet except no one will fund it yet. More operations and tests on the way, including selective venous sampling, more CT scans and possible thoracic surgery for a misplaced parathyroid gland. I'm holding down a job despite ridiculous levels of symptoms, mostly stones, depression, confusion and utter exhaustion. My advice is fight early and fight hard if you just don't feel right, it doesn't get better. Research all the implications of elevated calcium, which can be very scary, but remember they don't apply in all cases. DO NOT accept a doctor telling you your result is "borderline high". It isn't normal to have hypercalcemia, get it checked out by a consultant. It could save your life..