Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rhabdomyolysis.
Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

I am 64 and after 30 years of office work with sporadic field work, I decided to take up Tai Chi. After the second class, I went to bed that night feeling achy, like I might have the flu. As the night progressed I began losing muscle control and needed to use my arms to move my legs. By morning I was unable to move anything but my right arm. At the hospital my CPK (creatine phosphokinase) level was 69000. After weeks in the hospital for rhabdomyolysis I came home and started recovery. Five months later, I am still having shortness of breath and unable to walk like I used to. I had heart tests because of symptoms and heart is clear. Lungs have just been tested but no solutions for shortness of breath, weakness and inability to walk very far without stopping and resting. Fatigue is daily routine now. None of the doctors have a clue how to help with symptoms. Beginning to think this will be permanent way of life now. CPK levels are still fluctuating but near normal range..

Published: April 02

My son is 27 and in great general health. His job is working on computers, so he has to make himself exercise. He tries to walk to work (about half a mile) and jogs about 10 to 15 miles a week. In the summer, he spends all his free time wake-boarding, which is fairly rigorous. With summer coming, he decided to try and get in better shape, so he bought an extreme home fitness program. He did this for three days and followed the high protein diet that went along with the program. He was extremely sore after the 1st day which he expected, but after the 3rd day he was feeling very ill and sore. He urinated brown just once, and it was painful to drink water or eat. By the sixth day, he wasn’t getting better so he went to the doctor. Long story short, he was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis and was in the hospital for eight days on IVs trying to flush his kidneys. That helped with some of the problems but not with the filtering. He was finally put on dialysis, which helped. Our prayers are that dialysis is short-term, and soon this will be a bad nightmare..