Rhabdomyolysis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rhabdomyolysis.
Please describe your experience with Rhabdomyolysis.

Published: April 02

My son is 27 and in great general health. His job is working on computers, so he has to make himself exercise. He tries to walk to work (about half a mile) and jogs about 10 to 15 miles a week. In the summer, he spends all his free time wake-boarding, which is fairly rigorous. With summer coming, he decided to try and get in better shape, so he bought an extreme home fitness program. He did this for three days and followed the high protein diet that went along with the program. He was extremely sore after the 1st day which he expected, but after the 3rd day he was feeling very ill and sore. He urinated brown just once, and it was painful to drink water or eat. By the sixth day, he wasn’t getting better so he went to the doctor. Long story short, he was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis and was in the hospital for eight days on IVs trying to flush his kidneys. That helped with some of the problems but not with the filtering. He was finally put on dialysis, which helped. Our prayers are that dialysis is short-term, and soon this will be a bad nightmare..

Published: June 30

Four years ago I had a liver transplant. Approximately 2 weeks post transplant, I developed MRSA, could not be weaned off of the ventilator and during lab work it was noted that my CPK was over 5,000 so the docs called in my family thinking it was a heart attack. After additional testing they realized it was Rhabdo. My kidneys were already not working and I was on continuous dialysis. Spent 28 days in ICU but my kidneys regained their function. It took me a long time to fully recover because I was so weak I was unable to even lift my arms. Now I am fully functional four years later and liver is doing fine. I still have episodes of fatigue at times though..