Cholesterol Lower Medications - Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cholesterol Lowering Medications.
Please describe your experience with cholesterol lowering medications.

I've been on cholesterol medicines since January this year and I've had terrible muscle soreness and joint pain. I decided to cut the pill in half, 80 mg atorvastatin, and the muscle and joint pain is mostly gone; that was 3 days ago. I just found out about muscle soreness and pain with cholesterol medications today on another website and I realized I've been pain free for a couple of days, probably because I cut back on the medicines. I'm not suggesting you do that, I'm just telling all that I've noticed reduced pain..

Published: April 26

I too have had the symptoms other people have mentioned because of cholesterol lowering medications. I've tried simvastatin, atorvastatin and most recently pravastatin, all with similar results; that is, shoulder and wrist pain, weak and wobbly legs, short-term memory loss, cataracts, dry eyes, loss of balance, muscle cramps and numbness in legs and feet. My usually equable temperament has disappeared. I'm anxious all the time and find it difficult to even walk round my garden let alone venture farther afield. I have alternately felt anger and despair and the final straw, so depressed that I've contemplated doing something drastic. I've tried talking to my doctor and he's decided to have me tested for diabetes! The difficulty is that you only get a maximum of ten minutes with a doctor which isn't enough time to discuss the whole picture. Anyway folks, this patient's had enough and as of now I'm taking myself off the darned things. I know it will take a while to get them out of my system but I'm hoping to get back to being the healthy person I once was. I'll let you know how I get on in a few weeks’ time..