Muscle Strain - Recovery Time

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Muscle Strain.
How long did it take for you to recover from your muscle strain?

(Optional)

I have muscle pain in upper back at shoulder. Pain developed because of injury while lifting/pushing heavy industrial load. Doctor applied belladona plaster half the length below the painful area. Then he lifted up the plaster along with the skin and stuck the remaining portion above the painful area. Thus strain in the painful muscle was taken over by the plaster tape. The pain got relieved in 30 seconds. Note that belladona medicine didn't relieve the pain but the adhesive plaster simply transferred the load from painful muscle to the plaster and then to other muscles. After keeping it for 4 days, the sore muscle got recovered. I took no pain relieving tablet. This was done on me by a doctor once. Later I have replicated it on my wife and a friend. It works. Once I got it done on me with the help of my wife..

I got a muscle strain from coughing. My pain is on the top left of my rib. It hurts when I do anything and I am still coughing hard because I am sick so I can't give it any rest. I am concerned that I may make it worse. I haven't tried ice yet. That is my next step!.