Rotator Cuff Injury - How Did You Injure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rotator Cuff Injury.
How did you injure your rotator cuff? Tell us about your injury.

I am twelve years old and I have a rotator cuff injury. It all started when I skied into powder unknowingly and did a complete roll down the face off the mountain hitting my shoulder multiple times while outstretched. So I went to school thinking I was fine, which I was, until a friend of mine wanted to "fix" my shoulder and therefore forcing a rotator cuff injury. I screamed in pain and astonishment as I smacked his face repeatedly. He deserved it. Take note that I told him not to touch me but yet he continued and did. It wasn’t until my next class that my hand had swollen and turned a deep red. Also I could not write. I was immediately sent home. Now here I am writing in bed with my left hand and in a sling not being able to sleep due to pain and preparing for tomorrow’s X-rays and possible MRIs..

Published: December 21

A few days ago, I was shoveling snow. It had snowed a lot, and I was clearing away a 5-foot pile up. I got a pretty good load on the shovel and hoisted it over my shoulder. I could feel the muscles pulling, but by the time I tried to stop, my shovelling arc had already been completed. There was an initial sharp pain, and then some discomfort lifting my arm to the side. Fortunately, I still have more or less full range of movement. I just have a pretty sharp pain when I lift my arm to the side. Like I said, I've had plenty of shoulder injuries in the past. Shoulder separation being the most common. This was something different in that at least here I can move my arm in some directions, where with separations, I couldn't move at all. Not much comfort in that realization, though. Hoping that some rest and NSAIDs will get me back to the weight room in a few weeks..