Chronic Kidney Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease.
Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

Hi, I am a diabetic, type one and have been since 1956 and of course I am insulin dependent. I have had of course a number of problems over the years. Have had laser surgery on my eyes for bleeding because of that but that was stopped. I have had angio and angioplasty and the last time I went in they told me that one had plugged up again. I will wait until I have a major heart attack before doing open heart surgery. About 2 years ago they told me my kidneys were starting to fail. They, the kidney doctors told me I would have to be put on dialysis. I was really felling very tired. My potassium level was up to a high of 6.9.S. I had the kidney doc put in a fistula and he told me after it was ready in a few months they would start me on the dialysis. At that point I asked the Dr if there was anything to do to reverse or make this go down. He said no. At that point I had stopped my day to day walks with my dogs. I started back up and started watching the foods high in potassium I ate. The potassium has dropped down to 5.6 and 5.7 and I have all my energy back and fell good and that has been just over a year..

I have known since I was diagnosed with Lymphoma 32 years ago, that I had problems with my kidneys and they have gradually gone worse over the years and as of now are they are at 18%. The doctors have told me my problem is due to the Cancer. I can't have a transplant because of the Lymphoma as I would need anti rejection drugs which in my case would cause the Lymphoma to wake up again and the antirejection drugs would kill off my immune system and I would die. I am also 74, on Warfarin and have bad antibodies in my blood from the Cancer so my Renal Consultant had said don't even entertain the idea. He said something about Dialysis but I was in shock after learning about no transplant so I don't even know if I can have Dialysis. My eldest Son had some problems with his Kidneys, he was in the Navy at the time serving abroad and they brought him home to have an operation. He died in his 30's not of Kidney failure. My next Son was born very ill and had an operation at Birth to have a Colostomy. He lived for 12 months and then started to go downhill, we were told he had a kidney infection but things went downhill very quickly and they found out that he only had one Kidney and the other was badly diseased so there was nothing they could do and he died at 13 months old. I blamed myself but was told by Doctors that it wasn't my fault, Year later I was diagnosed so I was on a guilt trip again. I had a Daughter who is perfectly healthy and offered to give me one of her Kidneys, it was then I found out I couldn't have a Transplant. I have no intention of giving up though, I have fought the Cancer so will do the same with my Kidneys. .