Sepsis (Blood Infection) - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Sepsis.
What was the cause of your sepsis (blood infection)?

Published: April 19

I have a 30 year old brother with late stages of Multiple Sclerosis. He was re-admitted to the hospital about 10 days ago for treatment of C-diff in his stool which he had almost 3 weeks prior to his last hospital stay. During his recovery at home, he was getting a medication called Flagyl for his c-diff infection. He had fevers and sweats almost every day. We continued to give him his medication as directed, thinking this stool infection would clear up, but it never did. By the 10th day of Flagyl treatment, we called the doctor to report that "he was still having a lot of blood tinged diarrhea. He told us to take him back to the hosp which we did. Due to the fevers, the doctors did all kinds of test and we found out he has an infection in his blood. They have been treated him with all kinds if IV antibiotics. They draw blood cultures everyday and they still come back positive and he is still positive for c-diff. The doctors are saying "we've done all that we could do". Now they are calling for the Infection Control Team. My family is a bit worried of the fact that we may have waited too late to get him treatment sooner..

Published: March 03

I am a 62 year old woman who was admitted to the hospital in November of 2009 due to a kidney stone blockage. Shortly after my admission I had a dramatic drop in blood pressure and was rushed to ICU. After the stone was pushed back into the kidney, and of course lost of fluids and antibiotics, I started to recover from the sepsis. I was in ICU for 4 days. Since then I have had treatments to break the stones and have been given many antibiotics. I am concerned, as I do not feel well most of the time (tired and feverish). I fear that I have become antibiotic resistant and will have another episode of sepsis. Doctor's tell me that what happened to me is extremely rare..