Shoulder and Neck Pain - Causes and Outcome

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Shoulder and Neck Pain.
What caused your shoulder and neck pain? What was the outcome?

I hope I can help someone with neck, shoulder and arm pain with this story. I was driving on July 1 2011, just driving when all of a sudden I felt like someone punched me hard on the arm. Long story short I could barely turn the steering wheel and went to the ER. My diagnosis was a pinched nerve in my neck. I went to the doctor and he said to get an over the door head harness traction ($22) fill the bag with 9 lbs of water and 3 times a day for 10 mins, use it. Well, I had such pain I took Aleeve twice a day with EXCELLENT relief, but never thought I would ever get out of this pain without it. I could not lay down on either side. I had to sleep on my back and I used ice packs, heat packs and cervical collar. In 2 - 2 1/2 weeks it was 90 percent better. I could lie down on either side and did not need pain meds!.

All the causes do not address a very common condition: a stiff neck and dull pain in the neck and upper/rear shoulders. I know that many people and I sometimes have this pain after some time at the PC and/or desk and when tired. It feels that fatigue and stress contributes to it. Sadly, I am afraid that most doctors will not be able to diagnose/pin-point this, because, unlike an obvious injury, the cause may be so subtle and hard to find (in my opinion), and several comments support my opinion. I am a 58-year-old avid athlete, and I exercise regularly and safely, and I only rarely have this pain (or rather discomfort), but my college-age daughter regularly suffers for the last few months. We feel it may be due to her hours at the PC/desk and/or stress and anxiety, and I believe that her worry about this aggravates the pain. I give her daily massage, but it only alleviates her pain for a short time (until next day). Good luck to everyone in your fight against this pain..